Zippy Jackets to De-Stash

De-Stash!!  That’s my new mission.  Pull out that fabric and use it.  Some fabric is hand-dyed/printed/tied and some is commercial.  Some big pieces and some small.  Most are pieced–like a quilt, I combine fabrics helping them play well with others!

Indigo ikat woven

Peppy Blue

Two zipper-front jackets used different fabrics for different effects.

Peppy Blue was made with a combination of cotton fabrics.  The body of the jacket was handwoven using ikat-indigo dyed yarn.  Ikat gives the white areas–that’s where the yarn was tied so the indigo couldn’t get in.  The handwoven is soft and has a nice drape.  The sleeves are commercial, also indigo dyed.

The jacket is zipper front–the white zipper works well with the ikat white spots.

Marcy Tilton V8779

V8779

The pattern that I used was from Vogue-Marcy Tilton.  #8779  It’s a great pattern–looks boxey, but with the right fabric it makes a fun, jacket with different fits/drapes.  Unfortunately, it’s now out of print (:

Because of the loose structure of the Bias Bindinghandwoven fabric, I finished some of the Peppy Blue seams with bias binding.

 

Print and Upcycled denim

Basic Shapes

Another jacket with a different look is Basic Shapes.

I had a good sized piece of a fabric that I had printed in a workshop.  It sat in the stash box for years–too fun to throw, but not right for any project that was at hand.

I used the same pattern (V8779) and paired the printed fabric with denim.  I have a project that needed lots of denim–so I purchased used jeans from my local consignment/thrift store.  Now I have a big pile.

So, they’re going into clothing.  Cut and pieced.  One of the fronts I sewed with “outie” seams that I clipped.  After washing, the seams fuzz up–like chenille.  I modified the jacket a bit.  I like longer jackets (to cover my butt when I’m wearing leggings) but it was a bit long in the front, so I made a circular cut in the front.  Yup it’s shorter in the front–but not so visible in my pic.

This jacket is lined–that’s my choice when there are lots of seams.

Advertisements

Marigolds and indigo

Does two make a series?  This is my second blouse done with natural dyes and for this one the half and half are marigolds and indigo.

Marigold and indigo

 

I collected all the marigolds that were blooming…yellows, oranges in any combination and dyed part of the fabric.  The fabric was linen from a couple of up cycled shirts.  The front is the back and the back is pieced from sleeves and one front–I guess a quilter has to piece somewhere!!

I used an ikat method so that I  could dye in a vat.  The white line is where it was tied.  To dye in the marigold vat, I used plastic and put half in a bag so that it wouldn’t get color when I dipped the whole piece.  Then, I bagged the other half and dipped it in indigo.

Black Walnut/Locust and Indigo Yarn

With black walnut, black locust and indigo, I space-dyed this skein of cotton yarn.

Golden, green and indigo yarn

Starting with an ikat-resisted (plastic bags and string) skein,  I dipped in a pot of black locust leaf decoction which dyed a  yellow section.  (I call it “backyard yellow!”)  Then I changed the resisted sections and dipped  in a black walnut leaf decoction. The black walnut gives a darker more golden version of “backyard yellow.”  One section was left undyed.  I took off the plastic and rinsed the yarn.  Then I dipped sections one or more times in indigo.  Originally, I thought that I would tie up sections for the indigo dips, but I found that I could control the dipping by holding.  The pre-dyed sections went to shades of gold and green.  The unpre-dyed section went blue.

Oh, one more thing…the yarn is ORGANIC cotton.  Backyard dyes, indigo and organic cotton…that would be the sustainable dyeing trifecta!!

Ikat, natural dyed yarn

I used a wrapping technique (Ikat) to space dye this yarn.  The yarn started white-white.  The pretreatment with gall nut tannin gave it a light brown color.  The golden yellow comes from black walnut leaves which came from the green space in the neighborhood–close enough to call it my backyard! I dyed it with two other colors…alkanet and madder.  Alkanet should give a nice deep purple, but this batch is greeny/browny.  The madder gives the red/orange color.

Ikat reskeined

Cotton/rayon yarn dyed with alkanet, madder and black walnut leaves.

I had in mind a purple/red/gold combination…not what I got, But, I find this to be a pleasing autumn leaves combination.  When re-skeined, I have a better look of the colors for an intended knitting or weaving project.

I used a piece of plastic and string to get the ikat resist–each color required a re-tie.  The skein was placed in the dye bath with the open part of the skein in the color.  Surprisingly, the bagged part got wet (must have seeped in despite the tie) BUT, the color didn’t seep up.  I’ll leave it to the physics experts to explain that.

The madder–the red/orange color comes from the roots of a plant; it takes four years for the roots to be usable.  I have it growing in my garden…I figure I have only 3 years and 11 months to wait!