Lovelovelove the coreopsis orange! This piece was folded and dipped in a few coreopsis blooms!
lI’ve been printing lately. I want to get that lovely orange from coreopsis. The one at left is coreopsis and iron and coreopsis by itself at right. Haven’t figured out how the right combination to get that deep orange in a print.
The poke berries are still green so I tested the leaves. I prepped a poke pot and dipped a piece of cotton that I had prepared for printing. Since I was in a testing mood, I also tried out some black walnut leaves as dye liquor.
The bottom of the fabric was dyed in the black walnut and the top in poke. Both poke and black walnut gave the bright yellow that’s common from backyard leaves–the walnut is darker. The poke is very light and that’s fine by me as I’m not really eager to dye with a plant that is sometimes considered as poisonous.
Honeysuckle is so plentiful and it works both ways. The bushes get trimmed and I get some dye material! Here’s a piece with the yellow, and another with iron, by itself!