Pick it out of the trash
Take it from your cache
What can be done with your stash?
Using a “print paste” I’ve been putting coreopsis on fabrics. Playing with the color and designs, I’ve been building up a stash. Now, I’ve turned the stash into blouses…
This spring, I took a class on mandelas which work nicely in their variety. The range of hues come from a mix of an alum-based paste, combined with more or less
ferrous sulfate (iron.) Then the piece is dipped in a “vat” of coreopsis dye-liquor. (My vats are really small pots–maybe a cup or two of liquid depending on the number of coreopsis blooms that I harvested that day!)
One challenge is to amp the coreopsis color. My goal is the deep orange that I get from a small sample, but I’ll be happy with a lighter, but definite orange. I’m thinking that the coreopsis contains enough tannin so when the iron comes into contact, it changes the color of the dye bath. I’m experimenting with a pre-dip of tannin, or coreopsis liquid to fix the iron and then re-dip with more coreopsis liquid.
Who’d a thunk, that I’d be spending weeks on one flower!